Aluminium Foil Membrane – Vapour Barrier and Thermal Insulation – 1.5m x 50m
Our aluminium foil membrane is a three-layer aluminium foil, a high-quality option which is used extensively in both new-build constructions and renovations.
Serving as a fully waterproof vapour barrier and thermal insulation upgrading system, this foil insulation is utilised in walls, roofs, attics, ceilings and floors.
What are the key qualities of aluminium foil / vapour barrier membrane?
We ensure our vapour barrier membrane and waterproof insulation offers excellent value and durability, which is certainly the case with this aluminium foil insulation membrane. Key qualities include:
- The product’s highly reflective and durable surface reduces heat loss through the roof, ceiling, wall or floor, therefore enhancing the thermal performance of the system. The upper and lower layers are made of aluminium polyethylene film and the inner part is reinforced with PP network, which gives this foil insulation an extremely high tensile strength.
- The top layer of polyethylene is metallized with the heat-reflective surface of aluminium. The internally reinforced membrane sheet covers both the structure from the ingress of water, acting as a reliable heat absorption layer.
What are the main applications of aluminium foil / vapour barrier membrane?
Aluminium foil membranes are typically used in applications to minimise the thickness of the insulation required. In the best cases, the use of a foil membrane could reduce the amount of insulation needed by between 10-20mm (but typically 5-10mm), although this varies with construction type and target U-value.
This type of aluminium foil insulation outperforms standard foil membranes, achieving 0.35 U-value with 89mm stud wall. Our premium aluminium foil is of equivalent quality, but offers a much more cost-effective alternative to other aluminium foil / vapour barrier membranes which are scarcely available in many builder’s merchants.
In terms of specific locations for application, the most common options include:
- Floors – under floor boards and between floor joists
- Underfloor Heating – under heating pipes (wet and dry systems)
- Ceilings – between ceiling joists and under plasterboard
- Roof – can be used in ventilated and non-ventilated roofs
- Walls – in dry lined stud walls and against solid walls
The product can also be used in conservatory, steel, timber frame and modular construction. Please note, this membrane is not self-adhesive, it must be fixed in place to ensure its full effectiveness as a thermal waterproof insulation. Self-adhesive foil tape is available for this purpose which can be purchased on our site separately see the recommended products on this page.
What are the key features of aluminium foil / vapour barrier membrane?
- Foil insulation can reduce the radiant heat transfer by up 97%
- Excellent stability, strength and cohesion
- Highly tear resistant
- Corrosion and damage resistant
- Good nail tear resistance
- Helps prevent mould and damp, enhances thermal resistance, and reduces risk of condensation
- Specially designed to keep homes warm in winter, but the unique foil properties are also great at reflecting excessive heat during the summer
- A much more cost-effective alternative to other vapour barriers / aluminium foil membranes scarcely available in builder’s merchants
Are there any further benefits to aluminium foil / vapour barrier membrane?
As one of the leading waterproof insulation and vapour barrier membrane available, there are extensive range of benefits to this option. Further benefits of this type of foil insulation include:
- Low-emissivity reflective surface used to improve the overall u-value of the building helps to meet the requirements of Approved Document Part L
- Extremely economical and waste-free Very lightweight and easy to cut (no special equipment required)
- Offers a real ease of application
- High weather resistance
- Multi-layered aluminium
- Thermally insulating properties: equivalent to 55mm Polystyrene Insulation
- Ideal for use in both Refurbishments & New Builds
- Prevents the ingress of water/moisture and the passage of wind-blown snow and dust into the interior of the building
- The reflection foil is designed for direct application in underfloor heating systems; under heating pipes and can be easily cut to fit shaped areas. The foil reflects heat and deflects the cold temperature down to prevent heat loss to the subfloor and increase the system’s efficiency.
How will my aluminium foil / vapour barrier membrane be delivered?
Your aluminium foil / vapour barrier membrane will be sent on a free next working day (24 hour) UK delivery service. Your order will be dispatched the same working day if received by 1pm otherwise it will be dispatched the next working day.